Something I need to learn to do

This afternoon, as I watched my perfectly happy four-month old playing with a Sprite bottle, I wished that I could be as easily amused as she is. Babies don't need all the stuff that we adults do. They can live without television, telephones, and computers. Their lives won't come to a screeching halt if they don't have access to their email, Facebook, or Twitter. To me, it seems as if babies see what life is really about: noticing and embracing the all little things. The way the sun dances on the surface of a puddle of water. Seeing the smile on the face of someone they love.

As parents, we are supposed to teach our children all sorts of things. It's part of our “job.” I can't help but wonder what sorts of things our children can teach us if we just take the time to see things through their eyes. How much better would our lives be if we could live them like our children live theirs?

1 comment:

  1. Great question. A little musing on the metaphysical (and happiness) is always good...

    ReplyDelete