Everything Austen #1: Emma

I've finally finished my first task for Everything Austen. It's taken me a lot longer than I expected and has made me seriously rethink my list, but more on that later.

It took me a little over two weeks to read Emma. I'm just going to assume that it took so long because I'm not used to reading a British literature novel without having some intense deadline looming over me. I enjoyed reading the book even though I found most of the characters very, very annoying. Emma's attitude towards others concerning their places in society really bothered me. I really think she should have been brought down a notch much earlier in the book, when she could have really done herself and others some good.

The only version of the film I was able to get from the library was the 1996 Miramax version starring Gwyneth Paltrow. I have to say that the movie did not disappoint me. Yes, like most movies based on books, there were some omissions, but, had I not just recently read the book, I don't think it would have been as obvious to me. I still found most of the characters very, very annoying, although some were not nearly as annoying as in the book.

I'm somewhat disappointed in myself for this sad little post about completing my first Everything Austen task, but I plan to do better next time.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read Emma myself, but really enjoy the Gwenyth Paltrow movie! PBS is doing their own version of Emma for next year too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that gasp! Emma is the one Austen novel I've never been able to finish. I've started it and never finished it. I can definitely echo you on frustration with some of the characters. But the 1996 film was gorgeous, and I hear good things from others...maybe it's time to try again?

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete