Monday Musing (7/13)

Today's Musing Mondays: We all know the old adage about not judging a book by it’s cover, but just how much sway does a book cover have when it comes to your choice of book – whether buying or borrowing? Are there any books you’ve bought based on the cover alone?

I wish I could say that I don't judge any books by their covers, but I do. When I'm walking through the library, the books that jump out at me are the ones that have interesting looking covers. When the cover jumps out at me, I'll usually see if the title looks interesting and, if it does, then I'll read the book summary. If I like what I see, then I'll get the book.

Being on a budget, having a new baby, and trying to get bills paid off doesn't leave much splurging room when it comes to books so about 95% of the books I buy are used. When it comes to buying books, I don't let the cover sway my decision in any way. I usually buy books I've already read and loved. Before buying a book I've never read, I'll usually skim the first few pages to see if I like what I see.

I've also learned to take what other people say about the book with a grain of salt when it comes to books. In the past few months, I've had someone give me two books that I never would have bought for myself (one a novel, the other a parenting book) and rave about how life-changing they both were. I wasn't able to get past chapter two of the novel. I forced myself to read the parenting book and then prompting tossed to book in the donation pile because I didn't agree with most of what it said and the one thing the book advocated that I did try came back to haunt me for about six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment